I’m sure you’ll agree with that finding the best dog food for goldendoodles at times can be daunting. Right?
Let’s be honest all breeds require their own special diet, and new breeds need an even more thoughtful approach.
Gooldendoodles are a relatively new breed, so in this post, we will walk you through the key points of their nutrition so you can find the best food for goldendoodle yourself.
So let’s get down to it!
What to look for choosing the best dog food for Goldendoodles
When it’s a puppy, a Goldendoodle needs to eat from three to four smaller meals per day. A total of less than 1,000 calories is a good target. As it grows its feeding schedule can change to two meals a day.
Meat Protein – Your Goldendoodle will enjoy eating meats such as chicken, beef, lamb, and fish. Ingredients are listed according to content on the dog food packages so meat should be listed as one of the first ingredients on the package.
Plant Protein – While plant proteins increase the nutrients in pet food, meat proteins are easier for a dog to digest. Plant proteins can include added ingredients such as lentils and peas.
Fat – Fats for your fluffy friend come in a variety of ways but healthy options include flaxseed, chicken fat, and canola oil.
Omega-3s – The lush coat on the Goldendoodle is one of its most striking features. The Omega 3s in your dog’s food helps keep its fur shiny and plush. Pets typically lack this ingredient, much like people because of a lack of fish in the diet.
DHA – This is another Omega 3. It’s important to make sure your pet gets DHA because it helps with your pets vision and brain health.To ensure your dog’s long-term health make sure the ingredients are as fresh as possible. From lamb and turkey, to salmon and rice, there is a huge variety of options. Avoid artificial flavors, colors, preservatives, and sweeteners.
A diet low in carbs will aid in keeping your goldendoodle’s blood sugar at a healthy level and calcium can help eliminate bone spurs in your pet.
Experts agree that chicken is a desirable ingredient for dog food. When shopping, read packages thoroughly. The most abundant ingredients will be listed first and those included to a lesser degree will be listed farther down. Soy, corn, and glutens can be hard for your dog to digest. Keep them at minimal levels.
Grain-free duck and lamb mixtures will be a favorite with your pet. Both meats are popular with goldendoodles and will help to keep its coat shiny and full and refuel its energy level for more play and healthy growth. Salmon and venison are other top choices for a main ingredient. Your pet will let you know if it prefers dry food, wet or a meal plan that includes some of each.
As a proud and loving pet owner, you’ll always try to find the products that are best for your canine’s health. This will naturally include sourcing the best dog food for goldendoodle friends. That can be hard to do in an over-saturated market.
We empathize with you.
This review will take a closer look at nine popular foods that you might want to consider, based on the age, weight, and digestive health of your canine. You’ll be surprised at the differences found between brands, but you should finish this with a better understanding of what is out there.
Remember that diet is just one part of raising and maintaining your dog’s health and that exercise, grooming, and monitored health will allow you and your four-legged friend enjoy a complete life!
Review of TOP 9 the best dog food for goldendoodles
|Caloric||Meat Protien||Plant Protien||Fat||Omega-3s||DHA|
|Taste of the Wild Grain Free High Protein Dry Dog Food||370||Higher||Lower||15%||Yes||Yes|
|Diamond Naturals Dry Food for Adult Dog, Beef and Rice Formula||329||Lower||Higher||15%||Yes||Yes|
|Hill’s Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin Dog Food||366||Lower||Higher||15%||None||Not listed|
|Wellness Core Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food Original Turkey & Chicken||Not listed||Higher||Lower||12%||Yes||Not listed|
|CANIDAE Grain Free PURE Dry Dog Food||496||Average||Higher||12%||Yes||Yes|
|Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin||429||Average||Average||16%||Yes||Yes|
|Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula||440||Higher||Lower||14%||Yes||Not listed|
|Merrick Grain Free Dry Dog Food Real Chicken & Sweet Potato||460||Average||Average||17%||Yes||Not listed|
|Hill’s Science Diet Puppy Food||378||Lower||Higher||20%||Yes||Not listed|
Each of the products reviewed below is popular sellers on today’s pet food market. Key features touched on in the table are added to, with information that focuses on product design and intent.
There are even some notes about the manufacturers themselves.
A small list of both Pros and Cons are provided to consider while reading, before our verdict and suggested uses wrap things up.
1. Taste of the Wild Grain Free High Protein Dry Dog Food – best dog food for goldendoodles
This product caters to the non-grain side of the market.
Taste of the Wild brand is owned by Schell & Kampeter, Inc.
This could be a solid choice with those looking for a meat and vegetable kibble.
A formula that is designed with non-grain diets.
- 370 calories per cup.
- High meat protein.
- Lower plant protein.
- Contains 15-percent fat.
- Lower Omega-3 source.
- Salmon-sourced DHA.
- High meat content
- No grain filler
- Meets golden-doodle nutrient requirements
- Carbohydrates slightly excessive
- Pea and potato protein not preferred by some
- Large bag may become stale
Verdict: Bison/venison combo offer great meat sources, especially with full-sized dogs.
2. Diamond Naturals Dry Food for Adult Dog, Beef and Rice Formula – good food for goldendoodle adult
Designed with well-balanced nutrients needed by mature dogs.
Diamond Naturals performs on-site testing on their products.
A possible selection for those looking for balanced food.
This product is designed for large dogs over 100-pounds.
- 329 calorie in each cup.
- Some proteins supplied by beef meal.
- Multiple plant protein sources.
- 15-percent fat.
- Contains omega-3 from fish-supplements.
- DHA derived from salmon.
- Protein level good for adults
- Ingredients support joint-health
- Large bag good for 100-pound plus dogs
- Low-fat from minimal meat source
- Omega-3 content a bit low
- Lacks nutrients for younger golden-doodles
Verdict: 40-pounds of balanced kibble might be a decent choice for owners who shop less.
3. Hill’s Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin Dog Food – best food goldendoodle breed
This formula concentrates on easy digestion.
Hill’s Science began with a vet working with a single German Sheppard.
A good recommendation if your dog suffers from stomach issues.
The high plant-based formula that cuts out content that is difficult to digest properly.
- 366 calories per cup.
- Some meat protein through chicken meal.
- Various plant protein sources.
- 15-percent fat content.
- No omega-3 provided.
- No DHA sources listed.
- Made for easier digestion
- Lots of antioxidants and vitamins
- Supports healthy coat.
- High grain content
- Stomach specialized diet
- Higher price point per pound
Verdict: A great selection for canines that struggle with digestion.
4. Wellness Core – Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food for goldendoodle
This particular formula is made to avoid many allergens by providing more limited ingredients.
Wellness uses their WellPet Foundation to assist many non-profit organizations.
Those looking for a real meat kibble would enjoy this offering for their canine friend.
Made to provide high-meat protein sources without grain filler.
- No calorie data available.
- Lots of poultry proteins.
- Includes plant protein sources.
- Contains 12-percent fat.
- omega-3 present.
- No DHA sources listed.
- Grain-free formula
- Uses deboned turkey
- Contains prebiotic/probiotics
- Some data not provided
- Flaxseed may be issue for some dogs
- Extremely high price for ingredients
Verdict: A nice offering for owners looking for whole meat kibble.
5. CANIDAE Grain Free PURE Dry Dog Food – best goldendoodle food
Formulated as a seafood product that avoids other meat-types to provide quality nutrients with low fats.
Canidae has multiple facilities across North America.
Owners wanting a real fish meat kibble should like this product.
Real salmon and salmon meal make this a seafood product.
- 496 calories per cup.
- Meat protein from salmon sources.
- Multiple vegetable protein sources.
- 12-percent fat content.
- Fish sourced omega-3 content.
- DHA supplied through salmon meat.
- Uses real salmon
- Doesn’t use corn or wheat filler
- Higher protein levels
- Contains fermentation products
- Flaxseed problematic for some dogs
- Uses tomato pomace
Verdict: A possible choice for those looking for fish-sourced kibble.
6. Purina Pro Plan Focus – best vet food for goldendoodle with Sensitive Skin & Stomach
Formulated to offer an easier to digest dry food alternative.
Purina offers many different Pro Plan diets that focus on specific issues.
Owners needing an easy to find digestive formula will appreciate this product.
The ingredients are designed to break down easily in the digestive tract.
- 429 calories in each cup.
- Salmon and meal proteins.
- Multiple plant proteins.
- Contains 16-percent fat.
- Omega-3 present
- DHA provided by salmon.
- Uses real fish sources
- Easier to digest
- Promotes healthy skin
- Omega-3 levels minimal
- Lots of filler
- 30-pound bag will run out faster
Verdict: A good option for owners of dogs with digestive problems.
7. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula – best food for healthy weight goldendoodle
Made to offer fewer calories from fats.
Blue Buffalo’s name was inspired by an Airedale named Blue.
Owners with adult dogs who are a bit overweight could benefit from this formula.
Formula made to offer nutrients and lower-calories from sources other than fats.
- 440 calories per cup.
- Meat protein from deboned chicken.
- Some plant protein sources.
- 14-percent fat content.
- Some omega-3 present.
- No DHA sources listed.
- Contains deboned chicken
- Helps with bones and teeth
- Promotes joint health
- Omega-3 levels are minimal
- Flaxseed can be issue for some canines.
- Added coloring present
Verdict: Those looking for assistance with weight management will appreciate this kibble.
8. Merrick Grain Free Dry Dog Food Real Chicken & Sweet Potato – best food for goldendoodle adult
Marketed as a real chicken dry kibble for many breeds.
Merrick started with dog treats in 1988.
Those looking for a chicken flavored food for their favorite canine will be interested in this.
It is formulated with real chicken as the major meat ingredient.
- 460 calories per cup.
- Multiple meat protein sources.
- Various plant proteins listed.
- 17-percent fat content.
- Omega-3 present.
- DHA sorces not listed.
- Deboned chicken used
- Does not contain grain products
- Supports healthy skin
- Uses multiple meal sources
- Fermentation products present
- Omega-3 levels minimal
Verdict: Those looking for a real chicken dry food will enjoy this product.
9. Hill’s Science Diet Puppy Food, Healthy Development – best puppy food for goldendoodle
This formula caters to the health markers that are important for proper canine growth.
Hill’s Science has been stocked and recommended by vets since the 1980s.
Puppy owners will be interested in this easy to digest formula for healthy growth.
Ingredients target development and growth of young dogs.
- 378 calories in each cup.
- Some meat meal proteins.
- Multiple plant protein sources used.
- 20-percent fat content.
- One-percent omega-3 levels.
- DHA sources listed.
- Designed for growth
- Supports brain and eyes
- No artificial colors
- Uses meals instead of whole sources
- Soy bean oil used
- Mostly plant-based
Verdict: A highly-recommended choice for owners of growing puppies.
Frequently Asked Questions By Owners
Two questions continue to be asked by many Golden-Doodle owners, and this section will help to answer these for you.
These answers will help when selecting a proper product. It also prevents owners from having to dig through tons of online websites or blog write-ups in search of these answers.
What health problems do goldendoodles have?
Owners will note that this breed can develop a variety of conditions, including:
- Hip dysplasia – Joint degeneration
- Sebaceous adenitis – Skin disease
- Subvalvular aortic stenosis – Heart condition
- Progressive retinal atrophy – Eye disease
- Cataracts – Eye condition
- Glaucoma – Eye condition
We recommend to never by from a pet store to help avoid health problems. Avoid breeders who cannot provide health information, and always have your pooch checked by a vet.
At what age are goldendoodles full grown
As a larger breed, Golden-Doodles do a lot of growing in the first few months. Half of their growth will occur within the first six months. It should be noted that many of these dogs will reach half-adult size by four months!
The larger the dog, the longer it will take.
Full growth is reached between year one and year two. By 12-months, their weight will usually level off. During the following months, your dog will fill-out their body, with growth tapering off by the end of their second year.
What is the Best Dog Food for Goldendoodles- Conclusion
We feel that the Taste of the Wild Grain Free High Protein Dry Dog Food is the best dog food for goldendoodle. It offers high meat-based nutrients while avoiding unnecessary grain fillers. It offers owners a lower fat option that contains omega-3 and salmon-based DHA.
You shouldn’t limit your selection on this alone, as the other products reviewed offer advantages under certain circumstances that may fit your needs:
- Diamond Naturals Dry Food for Adult Dog, Beef and Rice Formula Suggested for balanced nutrients.
- Hill’s Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin Dog Food – Recommended for digestive issues.
- Wellness Core Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food Original Turkey & Chicken – Suggested for those wanting high-meat, low-grain content.
- CANIDAE Grain Free PURE Dry Dog Food – Suggested for fish meat ingredients.
- Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin & Stomach – Recommended as easy to source.
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula – Suggested for weight control.
- Merrick Grain Free Dry Dog Food Real Chicken & Sweet Potato Good for real ingredients.
- Hill’s Science Diet Puppy Food – Recommended for puppy owners.